Using external programmers (USBasp)
Sometimes one will need to program an Arduino board that does not have a programming interface or will want to build a custom one using and Atmel AVR chip. If the chip contains no bootloader or we do not have a serial interface we can use an external ICSP programmer, such as the USBasp. In this page we will explain how to use such programmer.
USBasp is a USB in-circuit programmer for Atmel AVR controllers. The programmer uses a firmware-only USB driver, no special USB controller is needed.
- Works under multiple platforms such as GNU/Linux, Mac OS X.
- Allows you to read or write the microcontroller EEPROM, firmware, fuse bits and lock bits.
- No special controllers or smd components are needed.
- Programming speed is up to 5kBytes/sec.
- SCK option to support targets with low clock speed (< 1,5MHz).
- 10 pin ISP interface (conforms to standard ISP 10-pin pinout).
More info: http://www.fischl.de/usbasp/